Tuesday, 1 April 2014

York Open Studios - This Weekend !

With the onset of spring, artists across our city are opening their studio doors for the next two weekends. Yes, it's the phenomenally popular York Open Studios again, starting this Friday, 4th April.

The official site is your best guide to the venues and participating artists.  You can access that from this link.

As we told you a couple of weeks ago, this year's event kicked off in fine style with a launch exhibition at Bar Lane that tied into the Départ Cultural Festival.  Our very own Julie Lightburn attended and sent back the following report .........

Great start to York Open Studios . . . . . 

I popped in to York on Saturday morning to visit the York Open Studios Launch Exhibition. I loved the many and varied interpretations of the Grand Départ theme, including some very amusing ones –Stefan’s plate made me laugh. 

I did though have a bit of a panic when I couldn’t find my painting . . . . wasn’t it good enough to hang, had it been lost in transit . . . . ? On enquiry, Kim from the gallery was most apologetic, having sold it to a Lady from Bristol, who was only visiting for the day.  I was delighted to have made the first painting sale of the 2014 YOS, and luckily had another painting in reserve which is now hanging in its place. 

I’m also thrilled that the gallery are stocking my greetings cards, as of this weekend.  I had a grin from “ear to eat” as I texted to Paul (I wasn’t wearing my glasses!)

Julie is of course one of the many artists participating in the weekend events. See more of her work on her web page over at the SAA   www.saa.co.uk/art/lightburn

And now here,  for your enjoyment, is the very first picture sold in this year's York Open Studios.

Yorkshire's Yellow Glory
Julie Lightburn

( now somewhere in Bristol ! )





No comments:

Post a Comment